Sunday, May 07, 2006

Wedding Hankies


I was just thinking about my kids and their future weddings. I have made hankies for each of them but I think my most unusual pattern was the vintage one I made for Anita. Only one has married thus far but I have them just in case. The one I did for Anita waas my first bug project. It is a vintage pattern that built itself almost inside out. It starts with this huge long lenth and each round draws it in more until it finally fits the standard 10" hankie. The hanky is silk and the thread is DMC 100.
I should take another pic that shows it full round. I will try that sometime. The long edges are made up of the motifs spread out more. I worked on this for months at the lunch table in my office. They were mesmerized. They usually are...but I have not had any one brave enough to try tatting. Some day.

3 comments:

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Hi Arlene,

The wedding handkerchief is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I have not tatted with size 100 thread, the smallest was size 80 and I found it hard to tat with. I'm inspired to tat around a handkerchief now too. One for my daughter and one for my son's future wife. I have plenty of time to work on them, my kids are only 14 & 11. LOL! Thanks for the inspiration.

Arlene said...

Thanks for thanking me. I loved doing those hankies, the others can be seen clicking on my flicker badge. This was the most energetic but it was an amazing pattern to do...worked in such a unique way I think they most have had an earlier version of CRACK!!

Arlene said...

The book might now be out of print...Tatting Designs fron Victorian Lace Craft edited by Jules and Klaethe Kliot (1978!!)I would reprint if someone can tell my if that is legal!!

I love this pattern so much I am thinking of making it again...but it was VERY time consuming!! The gal was on Laudanum!! (victorian crack!!)